Wedding Dress Wednesday: One step backwards, two steps forwardsPosted: February 6, 2013
Don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it sounds. I made up yet another bodice toile, and realised I just wasn’t progressing with my fitting. The truth is, I don’t know enough about fitting, and I needed the help of someone who did.
She pinned me into my dress and played around to get the fit right. It was incredibly instructional. The biggest change is along the back waistline, where I need to take out a big wedge of the bodice so that it will fit my curves. (Becky, you were right!)
That’s around 7.5cm/3″ taken out of the bodice at the centre back. No wonder the back was sitting so badly!
I also need to extend the back skirt darts a little, to better fit my curves (and let the skirt out a bit around the hips – it was veering into bandage dress territory).
With the back pinned in appropriately, the front was actually really close (I think it helps that the princess seams actually eased in correctly this time, and I didn’t get any ugly gathers). All I need to do is bring the seam in a little under my bust, to get a closer fit.
It really was amazing to see the difference these changes made. I must admit I still find fitting a bit of a dark art – I think I need a lot more practice before I can get my head around it. But I’m looking forward to getting these changes stitched up properly, so I can really start forging ahead. And please don’t remind me how tight my timeline is getting!