Wedding Dress Wednesday: Endings and Beginnings

Wednesday_header

So, here I find myself, with the last Wedding Dress Wednesday post. We got our professional photographs yesterday, by the wonderful Scout from Whitewall Photography.

wedding1

wedding3

wedding4

wedding5

wedding6

wedding7

Besides Scout, I have to thank Morgan from The Tenth Meadow for her beautiful flowers, and David from David Frith Jewellery for not only our rings, but also my and my bridesmaids’ earrings. A special mention to Clare and Ben at Yangoora Estate/Anderson Hill, for such a lovely venue.

And, of course, to Matt, for bringing everything that’s wonderful into my life.

PS It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t leave you with an outtake!

wedding2


Wedding Dress Wednesday: The Big Reveal!

Wednesday_header

I know it’s been a while, but it took me surprisingly long to get a photo that actually showed my dress! Now one’s finally here, so I had to share it with you. I hope you like it.

needleandcloth / wedding day

Was I 100% happy with my work? No. Would I have done things differently if I had the benefit of hindsight? Absolutely.

But I felt really good on the day. And I think I looked pretty good. And I was incredibly, joyously happy to be marrying the man I love, which is all that matters.


Wedding Dress Update

Good news everybody! After the debacle of last week, where I discovered that my motif looked completely off-centre when I actually tried the bodice on properly (the joys of working with an asymmetrical motif), I was able to remake my bodice and complete the dress until the desired point (I’m waiting until I get down to Adelaide to do the hemming and stitch the motif on – cutting it fine, but I really need some extra hands and eyes for those steps).

This time around, I underlined the bodice with some organza I had presciently picked up the weekend before. It looks so much nicer – I am very relieved!

No photos, though – I want to wait until the big day to show it off!

Now all that’s left to do is sew up a couple of bowties for the boys 🙂


Wedding Dress Update

So … two weeks to go and I have to completely remake my bodice.

Not feeling so great right now. It’s going to be a busy weekend.


Wedding Dress Wednesday: Pretty!

Wednesday_header

The motif is attached!

bodice

It’s a bit hard to see on the mannequin, because in this case she’s just not close enough to my measurements. But it’s looking really good!

I put in some fusible interfacing, but I’m not happy with it; the adhesive isn’t very good, and it’s causing bubbles. So once the lining has been attached around the neckline and armholes I’ll take the interfacing out – it can just provide a bit of extra support behind the motif and along the seamlines.

I am a little bit concerned about how heavy the motif is. I’m going to put in a waist stay, which should help. I’m also thinking that, maybe in addition to fully lining the bodice, I should add a facing around the neckline in a firmer fabric. What do you think?


Wedding Dress Update

The dress is coming along really well now. The silk satin is *beautiful* to work with, and I love it looks. The colour is just perfect. But now I’m up to the bit where I have to make these two pieces into one:

I’m askeered!


Wedding Dress Update

Today has not been a good day. Today was the day that I realised I’m not going to be able to make my skirt work the way I wanted. I’m just not skilled enough to get it to drape how I wanted. And the elephant in the room I’d been ignoring – the seam down the front – suddenly stomped around and smashed a whole heap of things.

So I phoned my mum, cried a bit, and we came up with a solution, which is essentially this Burda pattern:

Burda wedding dress

I’ll still have a princess-seamed bodice, and the skirt will be one layer of satin and two layers of georgette. I’ll have enough georgette to be able to use it for the sash as well. I had been planning to self-line the bodice, but now I’ll have to use a lining fabric; fortunately the shop I bought my dress fabric from convinced me to buy lining for the skirt (which I wasn’t convinced I needed), so I can use that for the bodice.

I’m not sure that I’m completely happy yet; the other night I had a nightmare that my dress didn’t work out, and today I’ve felt a little bit like it’s been coming true. But hopefully it will work out in the end.